MaltaMedia Click Here!
Wired Malta
  A blog from the MaltaMedia Online Network  | MAIN PAGE | NEWS | WHAT'S ON | FEATURES | WEATHER | CONTACT ROBERT

Monday, August 20, 2007

Ambassador resigns

The Irish Times reports the news of the resignation of Malta's ambassador to Ireland, after allegations were made against his son:

Mr Muscat submitted a letter of resignation to his government after he said he was wrongly accused of claiming diplomatic immunity after a member of his family was accused of assaulting a female student in Dublin. Mr Muscat's son was arrested in connection with attacks on two women but has not been charged. However, his father - and solicitors acting for the family - have denied his diplomatic status was ever used to save his son from charges after his arrest. The ambassador stressed justice had been left to proceed in the normal way.

Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern revealed the Maltese authorities have confirmed diplomatic immunity will not apply. But Richard Muscat maintains his 35-year-old son is innocent and the allegations are wholly unfounded. He said his son suffered from a medical condition. The Times of Malta reported earlier that Maltese foreign affairs minister Michael Frendo accepted Mr Muscat's resignation yesterday.
In his letter of resignation, Mr Muscat - the Maltese ambassador for eight years - also blamed a section of the media for making what he called 'unfounded and defamatory' allegations against his son...
More from The Irish Examiner

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home